Summer is a busy vacation time so here are some water damage prevention tips for when you are away from home! Large amounts of water from overhead due to a broken water line, pipe or washing machine hose can quickly wreak havoc in your home and water can accumulate quickly in your basement if your sump pump fails! These simple tips can help prevent massive water damage from occurring while your away on vacation and needing water damage clean up services and water damage repairs!
- Using your home’s water supply valve, turn off the water to your home.
- Switch out any old refrigerator, washing machine or toilet supply lines with flexible braided lines. Metal is preferable.
- Ask someone to check on your home on a regular basis just in case there is water damage to your home so they can call you right away. The faster water damage can be mitigated the less damage there will be to your home.
- Make sure your sump pump is in good working order in case there are heavy rains when you are away.
- Make sure that egress window wells are clear of leaves and debris as water can quickly build up and enter through the window.
- Make sure you have your insurance carrier’s phone number handy along with your policy number just in case you have to make that call while out of town. Most restoration contractors can have you electronically sign a work authorization and get to work immediately to mitigate the damage even while you are out of town if you have someone to let them into your home.
Time is of the essence when it comes to mitigating water damage, especially in hot summer months. So resist the urge to turn up your air conditioning to save a little money because the warmer your home is and the longer water sits the more potential you have for major mold growth. In the event you do experience water damage in your home give Sage Restoration a call immediately as we will respond with a sense of urgency, care and compassion and you can trust our crews to make the recovery process easy and fast!